Java Blues: Wake Up And Smell The Playlist
If you know me, and my apologies if you do, you’ll know that one of my few remaining vices is espresso coffee. Here at Pulmyears Studio I burn through espresso machines like some people go through metaphors for things that get used up a lot. I love lattes, make about four to five a day on my home machine, I trade intel with fellow coffee drinkers about where the best coffee is: “Have you tried Four Barrel?” “I swear by Blue Bottle” “Portland? Take me to Stumptown” and so on.
One of my favourite of my many unfinished songs, “Outside The Lines”, begins with the autobiographical couplet: “I drink a lot of coffee in the morning, and the afternoon / I kid myself that it inspires me / As I bounce around the room.” Gotta finish that song one day.
Coffee and songs got me thinking yesterday about some great coffee songs. Between espressos, and with the help of some Facebook friends, I put together this coffee playlist celebrating the aromatic stimulant that fuels my world.
JAVA BLUES: WAKE UP AND SMELL THE PLAYLIST
1. “Java Blues” Rick Danko
2. “The Coffee Song” Osibisa (suggested by Stewart Mason)
3. “Espresso (All Jacked Up) Todd Rundgren
4. “Black Coffee In Bed” Squeeze
5. “Joed Out” Verlaines (suggested by Stewart Mason)
6. “Black Coffee” kd lang & Grover Washington, Jr. (suggested by Les Doerfler)
7. “Coffee And Cigarettes” Never Shout Never
8. “Coffee And TV” Blur
9. “The Cappucino Song” Tanita Tikram
10. “Starfish And Coffee” Soulwax (cover of Prince song)